BE ATTENTION! Easter Lilies Kill Cats and It Only Takes a Lick

Lilies are one of the most dangerous flowers for our feline friends. What’s truly scary is that it only takes only a nibble or lick to send a cat into acute kidney failure. These flowering ornamental plants are used in holiday celebrations, weddings, and funerals, and in various floral arrangements for Easter.

If you are lucky enough to share your home with a cat, don’t ever have lilies on the table or anywhere (which means just don’t have them around) your cat can reach them!
Lily toxicity in the cat. “(daylilies) are shown to cause nephrotoxicity in cats, “

Sources for Poisoning :

This is one of the most common kidney problems and occurs when your cat’s body is exposed to a drug or toxin that causes damage to your kidneys.
(Confusion arises as a result of such a large amount of totally different plants area unit known as lilies. )
“Members of the liliid monocot genus (lily of the valley”, while sparing on the kidneys, elicit toxic effects because they possess potent cardiac glycosides similar to digitalis. Even more confusing as to which lilies are toxic is the fact that many hybrids exist.”
It just takes a nibble of a leaf or a stem to cause problems. Cats are extremely sensitive to the toxic effects!

Mechanism of Action :

The Pet Poison Hotline tells us,

“The exact toxin has not been identified but is known to be water soluble. All parts of the plant – the leaf, pollen, stem, flower are considered poisonous. “Kidney injury (specifically, urinary organ cannular necrosis) happens inside 24-72 hours of consumption.”
A single flower has been known to cause death. Even the pollen is deadly.

Common Signs of Poisoning:

In cats, clinical signs include salivation, vomiting, anorexia, and depression.

Successful Treatment If Timely:

Add Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.